The healing of Louis Guimont took place during the construction of this chapel. It was to be the first of many favours received.
Built of both wood and stone, this church was located to the east of the first chapel, on the present site of the old cemetery.
This stone church was a place of worship for two centuries. It was demolished in 1878. The Memorial Chapel was then constructed on the foundations of its transept.
First Basilica, 1876-1922
In 1876, Saint Anne was proclaimed patron saint of the province of Quebec. That same year, a fourth church, much larger than the previous ones, was opened for worship. The Basilica was destroyed by fire on March 29, 1922.
The Present Basilica, 1923
The Basilica's construction began in 1923, after a fire destroyed the first Basilica in March of 1922. This new construction was oriented towards the future, all the while remaining faithful to the past. There was need for a large church, and the local people wanted it to be beautiful so pilgrims would be proud of it. Built in the Neo-Romanesque style, the Basilica is very harmonious to the eye, and is meticulously decorated. Cardinal Maurice Roy consecrated the Basilica on July 4, 1976.
(For more information about the Basilica and the Immaculate Conception Chapel, please consult the Guided Tour.)